Sunday, December 27, 2009

Oh, Yes, Yes...

I had a post in mind called "Is TV Still Happening ?, " as the holidays brought into sharp relief the fact that I have not even turned mine on in several months (how did that happen ? When does 24 restart ? Has it already ? Did Jack Bauer live ? I have no idea). Meanwhile, though, I came across this. Since I am, always have been, but am ever strongly more of the opinion that public K- 12 schools destroy education and the desire to learn (making higher ed increasingly a kind of rescue and salvage operation), I bring you this, with Ken Robinson. I may be the last person on earth to have discovered this video, which, I believe, dates from 2006.


12.28.09: Okay, people: I should confess that this is facetious--- Robinson has the idea that K-12 schools aim to make every student a "university professor" (ROFL, folks), and the part about said creatures at the final night of a conference is, I hate to admit it, funny in that painful recognition sort of way. Of other people, of course. Now watch the video and have a good time. He had a serious point about creativity, but manages to skewer himself in the end. Also fun to watch. When, WHEN, did creativity suddenly become opposed to intellect ? I've been watching this new(ish) creativity movement develop with some amusement and, yes, well, disdain. One can find a plethora of articles on ERIC for example, that believe all of this is newly hatched. Steiner, anyone ? Montessori ? For a truly terrifying look at the uses and abuses of "play," read this and tremble.

No comments:

Post a Comment