Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Back: Lynx and Long Distance

The whole semester gone, and only now checking in. Too many conferences, too much writing, no place from which to safely blog, no excuses and not even a hello, and now tonight's riddle: you have found the Holy Grail. The Holy Grail cannot be moved; supposedly, you can be. You can be the tenured Fisher Queen of Backwater or the status uncertain Grail Maiden of Bigbrightland. You have always enjoyed being Queen, even if you knew your world was small. Are you the risk-taker you thought you were ? Discuss.

(Yes, the HG analogy is pushing it, but get over it.)

4 comments:

  1. First, welcome back!
    Second,not fair: I need more info!!

    Let's just start with the obvious: How old am I?

    You see, even though I'm a very very active and energetic mid 40 something, I'm not so sure I'd want to return to Maidenhood and all that entails (dealing with new princes and overlords, figuring out the new dress code, language, etc etc). Of course if I desired a new prince or princess or overload, then this may not be an issue. But I'm exhausted just thinking of having to re-present oneself to dozens of new subjects. As a Fisher Queen in a lovely Backwater myself, it's comforting and pleasing to know that my subjects love and know me, warts and all (though I do wish the my subjects and maidens DRESSED better).

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say "I" am your age, and that this HG might involve less maidenhood per se and even involve a desired, uh, Overlord (which is what I think you meant to write, vs. "overload"). It's great to be back !

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that you're back! Missed you.

    And I would go for the HG (as long as I wouldn't regret giving up the Fisher Queen crown for any reason)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, Overload/Overlord (where the heck is my proofreading brain when I need it). Definitely OverLORD without ANY overLOAD.

    Ok, I like the desired Overlord part (in fact, I'm picturing Wm Hurt as Rochester), and if it's less maidenhood and more "queen bee in waiting" hood, then I do love Bigbrightlands more than Backwaterlands(and they dress better in the former, right?).

    ReplyDelete